Ayurveda has immense potential to solve many unresolved and challenging problems of the medical world.Among Ashtang Ayurveda Shalya Chikitsa is one of the most important branch, Sushrut Samhita is known for surgical principles and many of them are practiced till date.It has been opined that the management of some diseases is a great challenge with veracity to a doctor. Among them Gudarsha (Hemorrhoid) is one the grave disease for which it has been included in Ashto Mahagad (major diseases). In Sushrut Samhita the whole treatment is covered under four categories 1) Bhaishajya Chikitsa (Medicinal / conservative treatment), 2) Kshar Karma (Caustic therapy), 3) Agni Karma (Heat therapy), 4) Shashtra Karma (Surgical treatment). In Ayurvedic text many drugs are described which herbo – mineral preparations, these helps to reduce & subside pain , swelling & bleeding of piles. An evolution of these remedies may provide an effective treatment for Arsha which is considered difficult to cure or incurable according to modern science and there is repeated reoccurrence of the disease even after surgery, so I am inspired to select the topic so that the lacuna of the surgery and the para-surgery treatments is fulfilled and side by side the entire system of the body is rejuvenated to sustain and gate rid of the re-occurrence.
1. A Handbook of History of Ayurveda by Dr. R. Vidyanatha & Dr. K. Nishteshwar, Chowkhambaa Sanskrita Series, Varanasi, Revised 2nd Edition, 2009
2. A Sanskrita-English Dictionary- Sir Monnier Williams- Oxford Press,1951
3. API - Ayurvedic Pharmacopeia of India, Government of India, Ministry of health and family welfare, Department of AYUSH, Volume-1 to 5
4. Ashtaanga Hridayam, Sastu-Saahitya Prakaashan, Akhandaanand Press, Reprint 2005
5. Ashtaanga Samgraha by Kaviraja Artideva Gupta, Chaukhambaa Krishnadas Academy, Reprint, 2005
6. Ashtanga Hridayam with the Sarvaanga Sundara of Arunadatta and Aayurveda Rasaayana of Hemadri commentaries; edited by pt. H.S. Shastri published by Chaukhambhaa Surabhaarati prakaashana, Varanasi, reprint edition 1996
7. Ashtanga Hridayam, Sarvaanga Sundara commentary by Aruna Dutta; edited by Anna Moreshwar Kunte ,Chaukhambaa Sanskrita Pratishthaan, Varanasi, Reprint 2009
8. Atharva Veda (Samhitaa- Shaunakiya) ,Moola Mantra & Shayana Bhashya, Translation in Hindi by Ramachandra Sharma, 1st Edition, 1986
9. Ayurvediya Kriyaashaareera by Vd. Ranjeeta Ray Desai, Shri Baidyanath Bhavan Pvt. Ltd., Allahabad, Reprint 2003
10. Bhaava prakaasha, Vidyotini Teeka by Shree Harihara Prasad Pandey, Chaukhambaa Sanskrita Bhavan,Eleventh edition 2009
11. Bhaavaprakaasha, Pandit Shri B S Mishra, Chaukhambaa Sanskrita Sansthana, Varanasi, 9th Edition 2005
12. Bhaishajya Ratnaavali – Shri Govinda Dasa, Motilal Banaarasidaas publishers New Delhi, Reprint 2005.
13. Bhaishajya Ratnavali, Commentary by Ambikaa Dutta Shastri, Chaukhambhaa Prakashana,Varanasi, Eighteenth revised edition,2007
14. Bhavaprakasha Nighantu, Commentary by Dr. Chunekar K.C. Chaukhambhaa Bharati Academy, Varanasi, 10th edition (1995).
15. Chakradatta, Hindi commentary by Ravidutta Shaastry ,Chaukhambaa Surabhaarati prakaashana, Varanasi,Reprint 2006
16. Chakradutta: Chakrapanidutta, Pandit Jagannath Sharma, Shri Krishna Dasa Academy, Bombay (1959).
17. Charaka Samhita, Chakrapaani Dutta Commentary, edited by Vaidya Yaadavji Trikamji Acharya, Chaukhambaa Sanskrita Sansthaan, Varanasi, Reprint 2002
18. Classical uses of Medicinal Plants by P.V.Sharma, Chaukhambhaa Vishvabharati, Varanasi, First edition (1996).
19. Database on medicinal plants, CCRAS, Volume 1-8.
20. Dravyaguna Vijnaana, Vol. I & II, Prof. P.V. Sharma, Chaukhambhaa Bharati Academy, Varanasi, Reprint 2003
21. Illustrated Dravya Guna Vijnaana by J.L.N. Shastri, Chaukhambaa Orientalia, Varanasi, Third edition 2008
22. Indian Medicinal Plants by Kirtikar & Basu, Volume-I,II; 2nd edition
23. Introduction to Kaayachikitsaa by Dr. C. Dwarakanaath, Chaukhambaa Orientalia, Varanasi, 3rd Edition, 1996
24. Kaashyapa Samhitaa by Pandita Hemaraja Sharma, Chaukhambaa, Varanasi, 2nd Edition, Reprint 2002
25. Maadhava Nidaanam: Madhavakara by Vijayarakshita & Srikanthadutta with “Vidyotini” Hindi Commentary, Chaukhambhaa Sanskrita Sansthana, Varanasi, 18th edition (1989
26. Norman. S. Williams, Michael Keighleys. ; Surgery of Anus, Rectum and Colon, 2nd edition, W.B. Saunders Company.
27. Pratyaksha Shareera (Hindi) by Dr. Kaviraj Gananath Sen, , Chaukhambaa Sanskrita PratisThaana, Vaaraanaasi, Reprint 2001, Part I and II
28. Rasa Tarangini, Hindi commentary by Kaashinath Shaastry, Motilal Banarasidas, Delhi,eleventh edition, Reprint 2004
29. Researches in Ayurveda, by Prof. M.S.Baghel, Mridu Ayurvedic Publications & Sales, 2nd Edition 2005.
30. Saushruti, by Dr Ramanath Dwivedi, Chaukhambhaa Amarbhaarti Prakashana
, Varanasi, 8th Edition edition, reprint 1996
31. Sharangadhara Samhita, P S Vidhyasagar, with Dipika & GooDhaartha deepikaa Commentary, Chaukhambaa Surabharati Prakashan, Varanasi, 1st Edition 2006
32. Sharangadhara- Sharangadhara Samhita, Eng. Translated by Srikanta Murthy K.R., Chaukhambhaa Orientalia, Varanasi, First edition (1984).
33. Sushruta Samhita with Aayurveda Tatva Sandeepika commentary by Dr. Ambikaa Datta Shaastry, Chaukhambhaa Sanskrita Sansthaana, Varanasi, reprint edition- 2007
34. Sushruta Samhita, Nibandhasangraha Commentary of Dalhana, Vaidya Yadavji Trikamji Acharyaa, Chaukhambaa Surbhaarati Prakaashana, Varanasi, Reprint 2008
35. Sushruta Samhitaa, Commentary by Dr. Bhaskara Govind Ghanekar Part I-II- III, Maherchand Lachhamanadas Publication, New Delhi, Reprint 1998
36. Sushruta Samhita-Ancient Indian Surgery by Prof. G. D. Singhal & Colleagues, Part I-II-III, Chaukhambaa Sanskrita Pratishthana, Delhi, 2nd Edition 2007.
37. Yoga Ratnakara – Vidyotini Hindi Teeka – Chaukhambaa Sanskrit Series Office, 1973.
Modern Text books: (Alphabetical Order):
1. A Concise Text Book of Surgery by Somen Das, S. Das Publication, Kolkata, 3rd Edition 2002.
2. A Manual on Clinical Surgery by S. Das, S. Das Publications, Kolkata, 6th edition 2004
3. Bailey & Loves’ Short Practice of Surgery, Hodder & Arnold Publications, 25th Edition, 2008
4. Basic Pathology by Robbins, Saunders, An Imprint of Elsevier, 7th Edition, 2004
5. Essentials of Anorectal surgery, Lippincot company, Philadelphia, First edition 1980
6. Essentials of medical Pharmacology by KD Tripathi Jaypee publication, 5th edition, 2004
7. Farquharson’s Textbook of Operative General Surgery, 9th edition, Hodder Arnold publication, 2005
8. Gordon’s Principles and Practice of Surgery for the Colon Rectum and Anus,Informa health care New York, ,Third edition 2007
9. Gray's Anatomy: Edited by Williams P.L. ELBS, 38th edition, 1995.
10. Nadkarni K.M. - India Materia Medica, Vol. I &II, Bombay Popular Prakashan, 3rd edition (1976).
11. Principles of Anatomy & Physiology by Tortora, Harpar Collines, 10th Edition, 2003
12. Sabistons Text Book of Surgery, Sabiston, , Elsevir Saunder, 17th Edi 2004
13. Shafik A.: The longitudinal anal muscle, anatomy and role in anal sphincter mechanism (1976).
14. Shafik, A: A new concept of the anatomy of the anal sphincter mechanism and the physiology of defaecation. (1975).
15. Surgery of the Anus Rectum and Colon by John Goligher, A.I.T.B.S Publishers & distributors, Delhi; Fifth edition 2002,volume 1
16. Taber’s Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers
(P) Ltd, New Delhi, Volume-1, 19th Edition. – 2001
17. Text Book of Medical Physiology by A C Guyton, Saunder; an Imprint of Elsevier, 19th Edition, Reprint 2005
18. Text Book of Pathology, Harsh Mohan, Jaypee publishers, 5th edition, 2005
E-Edition Books: (Alphabetical Order):
(Downloaded via µ Torrent 2.2.1 software from http://torrentz.eu/)
1. Bailey & Loves’ Short Practice of Surgery, 25th Edition, © 2008 Edward Arnold (Publishers) Ltd : PDF Book Format
2. Farquharson’s Textbook of Operative General Surgery, 9th edition, © 2005 Edward Arnold (Publishers) Ltd : PDF Book Format
3. Gordon’s Principles and Practice of Surgery for the Colon Rectum and Anus, Third edition © 2007 by Informa health care USA,Inc : PDF Book Format
4. Sabistons Textbook of Surgery, 18th ed. Copyright © 2007 Saunders, an Imprint of Elsevier: CHM Book format
Websites & Miscellaneous:
1. http:// www.proctocure.com